On a client’s site today I was having a horrible time trying to use psconfig to create a configdb. The reason I was doing it is because the client wanted every SharePoint database to have a certain prefix on the database name. You can use the configuration wizard to customize the name of the configdb but it doesn’t let you customize the name of the Central Admin site’s content database. To do that, you need to use PSconfig.exe. No problem, I’ve done this before; sometimes for this exact reason.
But this time I had a horrible time doing it. I don’t know if these factors had anything to do with it but my situation included the following noteworthy factors:
- Brand new SQL 2008 R2 CU7 Active/Passive clustered SQL environment with a named instance
- SQL is configured to use dynamic ports only on TCP/IP
- My SharePoint 2010 hosts is configured to connect to use SQL client aliases to connect
- SharePoint 2010 was installed with media that was slipstreamed with service pack 1 and the June 2011 CU
Here is the command I was trying to use:
psconfig.exe -cmd configdb -create -server MYSQLAliasName -database FancyPrefix_SharePoint_Config -dbuser Domain\SPfarm -dbpassword SomePassword -user Domain\spadmin -password SomePassword -admincontentdatabase FancyPrefix_Admin_Content –passphrase MY_passphrase
The error I got in command-prompt window was:
The configdb command is invalid or a failure has been encountered.
Cannot connect to database master at SQL server at MYSQLAliasName. The database might not
exist, or the current user does not have permission to connect to it.
Not helpful. After verifying that I was able to connect I turned to look at the database server. But on the SQL server there was a more descriptive error in the SQL Logs:
Error: 18456, Severity: 14, State: 6.
Login failed for user ‘Domain\SPfarm’. Reason: Attempting to use an NT account name with SQL Server Authentication.
So at first, I tried to configure SQL to accept Windows Authentication only. That didn’t help, after restarting the services, future attempt got me this error:
Error: 18456, Severity: 14, State: 58.
Login failed for user ‘Domain\SPfarm’. Reason: An attempt to login using SQL authentication failed. Server is configured for Windows authentication only.
So no dice. I kept searching and trying variations. Including altering my syntax to use the “firstname.lastname@example.org” style but nothing worked.
I never did figure out how to get past the problem. I ran out of time and decided to go around the issue. I created the farm using the configuration wizard and then followed Cuban Pete’s instructions to change the name of the Admin Content database, which is simply the PowerShell commands needed to change the name in SharePoint and then when to go into SQL Server Managment Studio and change the actual database name.